The other day I was minding my own business, leisurely enjoying an outdoor shower, when out of nowhere I felt a pinch on the back of my left leg. Now due to the fact that I was covered in soap and didn’t have my glasses on I was not able to see what it was.
The scene of the crime
Within 2 hours I became symptomatic. Fever (104 degree range), chills, sweats, severe stomach pain, headache, fatigue and blurred vision. I took 3 Advil and retired for the night hoping I would feel better in the morning. That was 5 days ago. I realized it wasn’t the flu when my hubs looked at my leg and informed me that it looked like I had a spider bite, which coincides with the time all this fun stuff started. I thought it was a horsefly that bit me and my leg felt fine. It was just a little red and swollen.
Notice those black spots? Looks more like a vampire!!
I finally went to see my doctor (day 4) and he confirmed my husbands suspicion. He told me Vampires are not found in CT.(what do they know?) *Brown Recluse was his diagnosis, so he started me on antibiotics and pain medication so I could go off the 3 Advil I was chowing down every 3 hours for the past 4 days. Today is day 5 and I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just beware people. I’m telling you so you will know what a powerful punch these creatures pack. I was down for the count….but I’m not staying there!!
Brown recluse spider
- They can grow anywhere between 1/4″- 3/4″ but sometimes larger.
- They range in color from light brown to blackish gray
- They usually have markings on them that is shaped like a violin, giving them the nicknames violin spider, fiddleback spider, or brown fiddler
- They typically build their webs in woodpiles, sheds, closets, and cellars
- They typically live in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Texas, Georgia and Kentucky.
**I didn’t see anywhere that they are found in Connecticut. What I did find was the Hobo Spider that actually does live in Ct. and can cause all the same symptoms I experienced. Let’s just say that I really was bit by a Vampire!!